10 Ways to Use Epsom Salts at Home
- Stinky feet- You can mix ½ cup of Epsom salts with warm water and soak your feet for about 10 minutes to help alleviate the smell of stinky feet. In addition, you will probably feel more relaxed, and the skin on your feet may even be smoother.
- Garden- Sprinkle Epsom salts in your flower bed, vegetable garden and even over your houseplants to increase the levels of magnesium, which plants need to thrive. You can even keep your lawn green by adding 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts to a gallon of water and watering your yard with it.
- Crafts- Epsom salts come in a variety of different grain sizes, and you can use that to create a snowy, frosty look on glass ornaments for the Christmas tree, Styrofoam balls for a winter wreath, or on some evergreens for a snowy look. Just cover the surface with glue, sprinkle it with Epsom salts and allow it to dry.
- Balance magnesium levels- When the human body feels stress it loses magnesium, according to Dr. Leo Galland MD. Dr. Galland also has said that most people don’t get enough magnesium in their diet, but by soaking in Epsom salts your body can absorb the magnesium through the skin, helping to balance your body’s levels of magnesium.
- Helps migraine headaches- Soaking in an Epsom salt bath can reduce inflammation and ease pain, both of which will help with migraine headaches. The magnesium that your body will absorb is also known to help your body produce serotonin, which is a mood elevator and should help you feel better.
- Can prevent blood clots- Dr. Galland also points out that magnesium is imperative for heart health and that a lack of magnesium in the body can cause blood clots and heart attacks. Soaking in Epsom salts increases circulation, as well as boosts the body’s level of magnesium. Magnesium helps improve the elasticity of the arteries which is also key to good heart health.
- Body scrub- Mix a handful of Epsom salts with a tablespoon of bath oil or olive oil and scrub your skin to exfoliate the dead skin. Just rinse the salt off when you are done and you will be left with smoother and softer skin.
- Remove hairspray build up- To brighten up dull hair you can use Epsom salts. Mix 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of Epsom salts. Cover this mixture and leave it in overnight. The next day pour it over your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before shampooing as usual. Buildup will have been removed and you will be left with cleaner and shinier hair.
- Keep slugs away- Sprinkle Epsom salt near your doors or windows and the slugs will stay away. There’s something about salt that slugs hate, but normal salt is harmful to plants and shrubs so you are better off using Epsom salts.
- Add volume to your hair- In a small saucepan, warm together 1 part Epsom salts to 1 part conditioner. Work the warm mixture into your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Style your hair as you normally would and enjoy more volume.
Now that you know many more ways to use Epsom salts, you may want to pick up a bag the next time you are at the store. Epsom salts are very inexpensive and are useful to have around the house for any of the aforementioned occasions.