Interesting information I have just found that I wanted to share with you…….Please read……Its very very shocking….
Information was from the Shac Website…..
If you think animal experiments are necessary consider the following:
• Less than 2% of human illnesses (1.16%) are ever seen in animals. Over 98% never are.
• At least 50 drugs on the market cause cancer in lab animals. They are allowed because it is admitted that animal tests are not relevant.
• When asked if they agreed that animal experimentation can be misleading because of anatomical and physiological differences between animals and humans, 88% of doctors agreed.
• Rats are 37% effective in identifying what causes cancer in humans.
• According to animal tests lemon juice is deadly poison, but arsenic, hemlock and botulin are safe.
• 40% of patients suffer side effects as a result of prescription treatment.
• Over 200,000 medicines have been released most of which are now withdrawn. According to the World Health Organisation, 240 medicines are ‘essential’.
• Thousands of drugs passed safe in animals have been withdrawn or banned due to their effect on human health.
• Aspirin fails animal tests, as do digitalis (heart drug), cancer treatments, insulin (causes animal birth defects), penicillin and other safe medicines. They would be banned if results from animal experimentation were accurate.
• When the producers of thalidomide were taken to court, they were aquitted after numerous experts agreed animal tests could not be relied on for human medicine.• At least 450 methods exist with which we can replace animal experiments.
• Morphine puts humans asleep but excites cats.
• 95% of drugs passed by animal tests are immediately disgarded as useless or dangerous to humans.
• One is six patients in hospital are there because the drug they have taken had been passed safe for us on humans after animal tests.
• Worldwide, at least 22 animals die every second in labs. In the UK one animal dies every five seconds.
• The contraceptive pill causes blood clots in humans but it had the opposite effect in dogs.
• We use aspirin for aches and pains. It causes birth defects mice, rabbits and rats.
• Researchers refused to believe that benzene could cause cancer in humans because it failed to in animal tests.
• Dogs failed to predict heart problems caused by the cardiovascular drugs encainide and flecainide, which led to an estimated 3,000 deaths in the USA.
• Heart by pass surgery was put on hold for years because it didn’t work on dogs.
• If we had relied on animal tests we would still believe that humans don’t need vitamin C, that smoking doesn’t cause cause cancer and alcohol doesn’t cause liver damage.
• It was denied for decades that asbestos caused disease in humans because it didn’t in animals.
• Polio researchers were mislead for years about how we catch the disease because they had experimented on monkeys.
• As one researcher points out, “the ultimate dilemma with any animal model of human disease is that it can never reflect the human situation with complete accuracy.”