As a nutrient-dense food:
Coconut oil is made of primarily medium-chain fatty acids making it easily digestible and converted into energy in the body. It also contains lauric acid which has been linked to amazing health benefits. It has anti-viral, antibacterial, anit-microbial, and anti-fungal properties. It’s been shown that consuming coconut oil is good for overall immunity, reduces hypertension, helps reduce arterial injury, boosts energy, and helps keep proper cholesterol balance. It’s a great source of healthy (yes, healthy) saturated fats.
There is some evidence that coconut oil helps digestion and may even kill intestinal parasites or yeast. When taken regularly coconut oil has been shown to help fight candida, boost hormone production, and increase metabolism. Winner!
Eat it by the spoonful, it’s that good for you. But if that doesn’t appeal to you, here are some other options to get this super food in your diet:
1. Use coconut oil (with a little butter, if you’re like me) to make the best fried eggs ever.
2. Add a tablespoon or two to your smoothie for a nutritional boost.
3. Use coconut oil to fry your own organic tortilla chips to avoid GMOs and rancid vegetable oils.
4. In fact, use coconut oil anytime a recipe calls for “vegetable oil” or “shortening.”
5. Make these awesome Peppermint Patties…
6. Or these Black Bean Brownies…
7. Or these Chocolate Chip Cookies…
8. Or these Healthy Peanut Butter Cups…
9. Or these Coconut Berry Delights…
10. Or these Chocolate Covered Strawberries…
Or, or, or… you get the point. There are countless ways to add coconut oil to your diet.
Because of coconut oil’s anti-viral, antibacterial, anit-microbial, and anti-fungal properties it’s often found in plenty of beauty and personal care recipes. Here are just some of the ways you can use coconut oil outside the kitchen:
11. As a super simple lotion. Just slather on and enjoy the moisture.
12. As an important ingredient in this sensitive skin deodorant recipe.
13. As a germ fighting ingredient in this toothpaste recipe. (Some people only use coconut oil for their toothpaste!)
14. As protection against swimming pool chemicals.
15. As a moderate sun protection: “Coconut oil protects the body from sunburn and skin cancer without blocking the beneficial UV radiation. Coconut oil doesn’t rely on blocking out the sun’s rays, it works by preventing free-radical reactions which lead to all the consequences caused by overexposure to the sun. (source)”
16. As a single ingredient lip balm, or as an important ingredient in this tinted lip balm recipe.
17. As a “stretch mark” inhibitor during pregnancy (check out this belly balm recipe that uses coconut oil).
18. As an ingredient in your own diy homemade mascara.
19. As a face wash.
20. As a deep conditioner for your hair. Simple rub into your scalp and hair, leave on for a couple of hours and shampoo as normal. (Not recommended with no ‘poo as it can be a beast to get out of your hair!)
21. As a shaving cream replacement.
22. To help fight athletes feet by being used topically.
23. As a safe and natural personal lubricant.
24. As a diaper cream for baby’s (cloth diaper safe!)
25. As a cradle cap solution, just rub it on daily.
26. For a healthy mouth via oil pulling.
27. As a topical treatment to help heal the perineum after birth.
28. Can be used topically to relieve the pain of hemorrhoids.
29. A perfect fat to season your cast iron cookware.
30. Nursing moms can take 3 – 4 tablespoons of Coconut Oil a day to increase milk supply.
31. Remove stubborn stickers and labels.
There you have it. 31 uses for coconut oil. And if you’re not sure what kind of coconut oil to buy, check this guide out. I like to get mine online either here or here.