Creamy Prawn & Leek Paleo Pasta
Prep Time: 20min Cook Time: 20min
Ingredients serve 4
4 large handfuls of wild prawns
2 large organic leeks, finely sliced
3 large organic cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp coconut oil for frying
1 tin (400ml) organic full fat coconut milk, shaken to combine (I love Biona)
1-2 tbsp organic chestnut flour
2 tbsp organic coconut oil or ghee
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
4 large organic courgettes
1. Sauté your finely sliced leeks and chopped garlic on a medium heat in a frying pan, until soft but not burnt. Set to one side.
2. Whilst the leeks are cooking start preparing your courgettes. Using a peeler, peel down the length of each courgette making long ribbon like strips. Keep peeling until you cannot go any further. Set your ribbons to one side.
3. Now make your sauce. Heat your fat (coconut oil or ghee) in a medium saucepan on a medium heat, next stir the flour in to make a paste. Gradually pour the coconut milk in to the pan a little at a time, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Once all of the milk has been added turn the heat up a little until it starts to simmer. Now turn the heat back down to low, stirring continuously until thick like custard. This will take around 7-10minutes. Set to one side.
4. In the last few minutes of making the sauce bring a large pan of filtered water to a boil and drop the courgette ribbons into the water. Cook for around 5 minutes, until soft but not breaking apart.
5. Okay it’s time to assemble everything. Drain the courgette ribbons well, patting with kitchen towel if they are very wet. Pop them back into their original saucepan and stir the leeks and prawns into the ribbons. Pour the white sauce onto the courgette, prawns and leeks, stir and serve.
6. NOTE if your white sauce does not thicken adequately use 1-3 teaspoons of GF organic corn flour to thicken. Do so by pouring a little of the sauce into a bowl, stirring the corn flour in and returning to the pan, whisking all the time to avoid lumps.